#HiraHike – The Basics
Tawassum, tadabbur and tafakkur – the understanding , remembrance and reflection of God through his signs scattered across the world.
(Read more about the three Ts)
Throughout the Qura’an, mankind is reminded and called upon to witness the universe and its contents. We are reminded to use these ayah, these signs, as a source of spiritual inspiration. This spiritual nourishment by meditating on the creation of Allah (God) is an essential part of being a Muslim.
In our everyday lives, we tend to get cut off from the remembrance of Allah (God) through his creations. In light of this , the Green Deen SA would like to invite you to have your own #HiraHike. “Hira” refers to the Cave of Hira where our Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) used to retreat every year in the wilderness before receiving prophethood to contemplate on the creator and his creation. The Cave of Hira was where the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) received the first Quraanic revelation – the first five verses of Surah Al-Alaq:
“Read in the name of your Lord who created -created man from a clot. Read: for your Lord is Most Bountiful, who teaches by the pen, teaches man that which he knew not.” (Quran 96:1-5) Read more…
So how to have a Hira Hike?
- Remember why you are undertaking this journey, define your intention e.g. to witness Allah (SWT) ‘s creation, remember him and contemplate.
- Choose your location. It could be in your back garden for ten minutes, the local botanical gardens or park for an hour or two, or a day trip to a hiking trail or fishing spot.
- Take a friend or two with, your family, or somebody you know who has not really been out in nature.
- Do not forget essentials (especially if you are going for a serious hike). Good walking shoes, snacks, sunscreen lotion, a sunhat, water and lunch.
- And yes, especially for a full day hike – do not forget your musallah! Use your smartphone or the sun (with your analog watch) to locate Qiblah.
Have a #HiraHike anytime, anywhere! May Allah (SWT) forgive us all and guide us in our attempts at being a better Muslim. Ameen
Please do share your experiences with us through email, or on facebook or twitter or Instagram. Send through your photos of your#HiraHike!